Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Power v 4.9 not importing anything

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pa
    Participant

The previous version started importing as soon as the .csv file was uploaded. After upgrading to 4.9 this is no longer the case. The .csv is exactly the same so there shouldn’t be anything wrong on that end.
    However nothing happens and the log is empty. I also do not get any PHP errors or otherwise troubling data.

I’m starting to wonder if you guys have any Quality Assurance in place since this is the second time in a short time frame where things just doesn’t work. Last time, it was the .zip file that was corrupt…

pa
    Participant

Update: I reverted to the previous version, and now it works just fine.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Make sure your install has not disabled the default WordPress media uploader.

SLP 4.9 now uses the built-in file uploader provided by WordPress Core instead of a custom file import script.    First thing to look at is the Media Library in WordPress.  Do you see the CSV file you just imported?  If not then your site has disabled the WordPress media uploader.    Since you said the prior release worked I am going to rule out your AJAX functionality being disabled as both the WordPress default file uploader and our previous custom script did the same thing.

If the file is there, click on it.  It should show you in the file meta what the file size is and the current offset. The offset is where the background process is while importing the file.   If it is at zero then y our WordPress Uploads directory for the media library has been set to non-standard restricted access meaning the background location import process is not allowed to open the file after it was uploaded.

With SLP 4.9 the import is a 3-part process.  Step 1 is the ONLY interactive portion with the browser  where the file is read from your system and uploaded to the WordPress site.

Step 2 is where a background process, using WordPress Cron, reads the uploaded file and starts importing the locations WITHOUT geocoding them (yet).

Step 3 , after the import is loaded into the location list a similar background WordPress Cron process starts geocoding the locations.    Since this is typically the slowest part of an import as your server needs to talk to the Google Servers this prevents the import of locations from stopping before it gets all the locations in the database.

If your file IS in the media library but never gets off the offset 0 setting then your server very likely has WordPress Cron disabled or is preventing the wp-cron.php from being triggered programatically.   We do that so that sites with low-volume such as staging or local tests sites still import locations without waiting for someone to interact with the admin or front-end pages and trigger the Cron job.

This was done to allow large file uploads (10,000+ locations) on smaller hosts or even moderate size imports (600+ locations) on severely underpowered hosts.  It is amazing how many people try to load 10,000 locations into a $10/month GoDaddy site.  It is common enough that people would get half-imported files because their server would die before it could finish the job.

We are still updating the documentation to reflect the new import process and should have that out within the next week.    There is also an update to Power version 4.9.1 that has an improved interface for import notifications showing the import progress and geocoding progress in real-time so you know how far along both processes are without looking at the media library.

Check into the media library and offset issues and let us know what you find.

pa
    Participant

The file was located in the Media Library. I removed it after I reverted back to the previous version and I dindn’t think to check anything called “offset”. However the file had been there for several hours at that time, and no locations had been added at that time.

Afaik WP Cron should be running just fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Power v 4.9 not importing anything’ is closed to new replies.