Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus override generated lat/long

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bet
    Participant

We are using SLP for a directory of churches here: http://pbygrandcanyon.org/find-a-church/

One church is very rural, and doesn’t have a traditional address. It has been given as: <span class=”slp_result_address slp_result_street” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14.4014px; vertical-align: baseline; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 24.4824px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;”>Casa Blanca Rd & Vah-Ki Rd</span><span style=”color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4014px; line-height: 24.4824px;”> </span><span class=”slp_result_address slp_result_citystatezip” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14.4014px; vertical-align: baseline; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 24.4824px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;”>Bapchule, AZ 85221</span>

If you search using the SLP install above, it wants to send you to: Vah-Ki Middle School, located on Casa Blanca Road.

If you do a Google Map search for Vah-Ki Presbyterian Church, though, you’ll see this if off by quite a bit.  It is closer to the actual intersection of Vah-Ki Road & Casa Blanca Road,
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vah-ki+Presbyterian+Church/@33.1208845,-111.9158363,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xc0040ff6b2793b7e

I’ve been given the long/lat of : 33.1208845,-111.9158363, but I’m having trouble getting SLP to use this data. It seems to keep reverting to the original (wrong) data.

How can I get SLP to use the long/lat over the Google maps wrong data?

Bet
    Participant

In this post, Lance says:

https://wp.storelocatorplus.com/forums/topic/longitude-latitude-only/

@ Denise – If you enter a lat/long on an edit page it will use those values and not auto-calculate the lat/long based on the address.  That only happens if you change the address in some way between edits.

That is not the behavior I’m seeing.  I have the address set as the crossroads nearest and save. Then when I enter the exact lat/long, the saved lat/long are still the crossroads.

Is there some setting that I’m missing to make the lat/long take priority?

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Bet,

Sorry to ask you this but I need your current plugin environment here.  The override locations was fixed. I just checked it out, I entered a completely different Lat and Long than what Goggle Maps and my results location had, I updated and it saved, even though I did not change anything else in that location.

I do know there was an issue with Importing the lat/long, is that what you are referring to?

Bet
    Participant

Hi Cici!

Here is the plugin environment: http://easycaptures.com/0553531655

The location I’m having trouble with is: Vah-ki Presbyterian Church. See above for the link to this location on Google maps.  Part of the issue is that the address for the church shows “Bapchule, AZ 85221”, but the location of the church is actually out in a very rural area, and the church does not actually have a street address. When I click on the location on Google Earth, it gives me the address of a home about a quarter mile south on the main street.

The “address” listed in SLP is the nearest intersection (Vah-Ki Rd & Casa Blanca Rd., Bapchule, AZ, 85221), but this generates directions in SLP to Vah-Ki Middle School, over in the actual town of <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Bapchule.</span>

Since you indicated that there might be an issue with importing the long/long, I created a brand-new entry for this location. I refrained from putting in a city/state, and only put in the latitude/longitude. SLP would not let me create this location, or gave its location as incorrect.

Then I tried adding just the state. Same result.

Whenever I try to use the latitude and longitude from the Google maps link above (33.1206385,-111.9082153 – these are the correct coordinates!), SLP overrides these inputted coordinates to supply something else.

I have checked for conflicts with other plugins.

Cici
    Keymaster

Ok, I will check it out further, I am having issues adding that to my test site as well.. It behaved as you explained, it allowed me to add but unless I added the zip code like you showed it came up inactive

But when I search commercial google map for that church  it is showing zip code as 85121
    and it is showing the LONG LAT as
    ttps://www.google.com/maps/place/Vah-ki+Presbyterian+Church/@33.1364394,-111.8907672,14z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sChurches+Bapchule,+AZ!3m1!1s0x872af927b616fc57:0xc0040ff6b2793b7e?hl=en

So Google is coming back with a different Lat Long than you have indicated, for me. When I added the Lat and Long ()in Bold) it saved, I then left the page and went back in and it saved again.

But when You click on the exact Lat and Long as saved and as appearing now in the SLP Locations Manager, Google Commercial maps converts  it …(not SLP it still remains the same on SLP ) because Google Maps wants to give you directions. I am attaching some screen shots so you can see what I mean. Apparently Google Maps thinks the street name of that church is Orchard RD.

test it out.

Click on the @ lat loing in SLP back end and see where it takes you on Google Maps

SLP locations manger may not be able to include that last identifier in Google Map, As mentioned  in previous Posts Google commercial Maps has stated that its Lat/Long “map finder” and the algorithms are proprietary data.  (They own the Earth apparently)

If you enter in the above as I have, does it then save in your locations?
    P.S. What did you select under EXP/Map for the domain for Google?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bet
    Participant

Hi Cici!

This really is a puzzle! After you got a different latitude and longitude, I tried and got a third set of coordinates! And then a fourth and a fifth!

I wasn’t seeing “Orchard Rd.”, I was seeing “Indn Rte 103”. I tried that, and while Google Maps still overwrote my inputted lat/long, it came really close to the actual location — the turnoff to the church location from Indn Rte 103.  That may be as close as we are going to get. :-/

I’ve asked the client if this will work.

Thanks for your help!

Cici
    Keymaster

LOL, well, I am glad it wasn’t just me….sad reminder, Google does not own the earth yet  and maybe their “proprietary algorithms”   (in a conversation over the telephone)  indication is that Google misdirects all the time..

In comparison try getting directions and addresses in a place like Costa Rica.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘override generated lat/long’ is closed to new replies.