Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Stop SLP from searching abroad

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

We have a site with a few hundred locations and SLP is working well for us.  However, we recently added a new store in Barrhead (near Glasgow, Scotland).  The problem is that when customers enter Barrhead into the search box the map displays Barrhead in Canada.

Is there any way we can stop this and force the map to display Barrhead in Scotland?  I was thinking there might be a way to restrict searches by country (so it would return results only in the UK) but I can’t see this specific option.  The map domain is set to maps.google.co.uk.

You can try it for yourself at http://www.savers.co.uk/store-locator/

Plugin details are attached.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

There are a few ways you can do this.

Most require the Experience add-on except for the center map at with a lower radius to search.

There are options that you can use with the Experience Add-on:  discrete search,  append the country behind the scenes to the results (add UK to the append section)  another is to limit the radius with a center map at…and pick the center map at somewhere close to what the central point would be for all your locations. You can add it as a lat/long.  Another way is to have a search label  placeholder, description instructing the site visitor to enter more detail to the address.

The center map at can be used with the basic plugin, the other features such as discrete search and append is available with the Experience add-on which adds functionality such as” results “order by” , enhanced search..discrete search, and a Widgets add-on that has a search by city, country etc. drop down menus..additional labels (such as enter address, country city,country..free form text)

For more info on How SLP the search function works. Docs

The ultimate path would be to use Boundary locations and Google Influenced Guesses but those features are only available to Premier Subscribers.  (Premier release details) The Boundary allows you to have the map be determined by only the locations you have in your locations manager. Google Influenced Guesses will come back with options of where Google thinks you mean (in your example it would show the town in Canada and the town in Scotland) and / or if it does not come back with the right town the customer is searching  they know they need to add the country to their search.

Add-on Info and documentation links

Dave
    Participant

Thanks Cici, that’s very helpful.  We will investigate the options you’ve posted.

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Did it all work out for you?

If you like Store Locator Plus please leave a ★★★★★ rating onWordPress.org. A huge thank you from Lance and his fellow code geeks!

Dave
    Participant

Hi Cici,

Yes, we managed to fix it.  Our developer added some javascript which she tells me limits searches to the UK only.

Thanks

Dave

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

That can work too if you have someone who can work with javascript that is very useful.

I will close the post now.  If you have a chance to provide a super rating I would really appreciate it.  Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Stop SLP from searching abroad’ is closed to new replies.