Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Karim
    Participant

Hi,

When I search by zip code/postcode it doesn’t bring up any results. I have to put in the area and also the zip code. Like: Abbotsford 2046

example: ‘2046’

http://www.hi-tecoils.com.au/dealer-locator/

Cici
    Keymaster

That is the way the Google Maps API works these days even in their own Commercial Google Maps.  They have added many APIs including Places and as a result, with their money driven preferences they will show everything that begins with a number. Including street numbers that could be in a different state. Also  4 number postal codes are nout unique. This has been an issue for years when people would only search by 4 numbers and report that Google was returning results in a different country.

It is nothing that SLP does. All searches go through the Google MAP API and there are even occasional different results between their commercial proprietary results and what is returned via third party APIS.. You can find these subjects  in any browser all the way back to 2009 and in stackoverflow for developers. 

We have some tools to work around it such as show address guesses, show Google influenced guesses, and additional features to help your customers with their search as part of premier subscription.

Or discrete search which is available with Experience add-on. Allowing for dropdown search  by Country etc.

Samantha
    Participant

We are experiencing the same issue as Karim. Your answer was helpful, but I did want to point out that there is an error on the page when it fails to return results. I attached a screen shot of it. I do realize it’s a Google JavaScript API related error.

Google JavaScript API geocoder failed with status ZERO_RESULTS

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

@ Sanantha, you are showing an entirely different error message specific to the way you have your Google API set-up with referrers.

The other poster has set up their Google MAPS Javascript exactly right and they are not experiencing errors as a result of the API.  Their issue is Google being biased, Google wants the user to search using more then a postal code , especially when a postal code is 4 digits as Australia is. Google has a blind eye when it comes to Australia and has for years. There are some postal codes that are not unique to Australia and Google returns a different country sometimes. The WPSLP developer built in some work arounds years ago to offset these issues, such as Google influenced guesses, show address guesses, etc that are part of premier.

Your issue is not at ALL the same. This is why we ask people to start new posts , to provide their plugin environment etc.  Your site is not set up the same way as Karims.

If you  have a question could you please start a new post with your plugin environment and url for your site. Please refer to the posting guidelines

Thanks

Samantha
    Participant

I started a new post titled – “Some U.S. Zip Codes Not Returning Results”

Cici
    Keymaster

Thx, answered on new thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.