Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Premier Support OLD SLP WordPress integration vs NEW Google API

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shaun
    Participant

Hi. I’m having a bit of an issue with a site I manage. The site has customized theme/code that makes SLP look and function a certain way in the custom theme.

https://gueriniusa.com/dealers/

The issue is I cannot update SLP or the customization will break. Currently on SLP 4.3.11 with Pro Pack 3.11.004

I’m getting the Google “for development use only” greyed out map. I have an active Google API for this site. I’ve entered it under: General > Server > Google Private Key. The Google Client ID is blank.

Obviously the settings are different from the latest SLP 4.9.19 where you put the API key under General > Server > Google Browser Key. So perhaps the key is not in the correct place for the older version?

Any suggestions to make the grey map error go away?

Thank you in advance!

ps. As a premier user will SLP help me fix my map stylizing if I update to the latest versions for free? Or is there a separate charge/service for this? Ideally I’d like to see if I can resolve the issue without having to incur any additional expenses.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Shaun.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Shaun,

You have a couple of different issues, but the one that might solve  a lot of them  has to do with Javascript errors.  A greyed out map indicates that you have Javascript errors.  I see on that site that under Ajax/googlejavascript it is running 1.11…..that could be an issue

Also, if your theme or any other plugin has outdated Javascript it will interfere with SLP working properly.  See Troubleshooting docs about that specific issue here

WordPress mandated they would not support anything below version 1.12, that was done quite a while ago. maybe WP version 4.4, you would need to look at WP support and codex.

As far as running ProPack version 3 with a SLP version 4. How is that working? 2 years ago we wrote a blog about it,  I do not think that version had an export capability.  either way, you need to fix that site with updates (best way to do it is to get a staging site, make sure you use something like JetPack ) You should be able to copy any CSS over to a folder on your server or computer if you need it later.

here is a link that tells you how to do the updates etc.and best practices. , there have been a ton of security updates in WP and SLP followed suit.

The best bet is to clone or set up a staging site to do your updates on.

I do not know what type of customization you are referring to. (theme? other plugins? )  I was able to get the map to load and refresh on that site when I declined allow site to know my location, but  it took a minute…one reason might be because it takes so much time to draw the map due to the thousands of map markers loading. This might be a perfect place to use Cluster Map markers when you do get the site updated and current so that you can use  premier on it.

That site url does have lots of errors and warnings such as: ReferenceError: stLight is not defined[Learn More] dealers:160:1

TypeError: document.getElementsByClassName(…)[0] is undefined[Learn More] dealers:647:12

As far as Google ID , private key  etc in old versions, that had nothing to do with API keys. That was for Google Business licenses, and there is no need for you to have one of those.  Because you have such an old version of SLP, that version was released in 2015 , it dated back before June of 2016. ,June 22 2016 was the magical date that Google determined any new sites would need to have a Maps Javascript key, .  Therefore the back end of that version of SLP  may not have had a field called Browser server key.  I cannot support that version nor go back in time to see what it looks like since I do not want to load that old a version, it might not be compatible with my configurations and  could have security issues…Before 2016, Google did not require API keys for a site to load the map.  There probably was a place to add a Google Business Lic.  id, SLP had an OEM license and Google was pushing people to buy a $25K a year license or to buy those business lic plans , now they have decided to just push the billing to every single site that loads Google MAPS and requires them to have a key with a billing account.  They may not have caught up with everyone yet, I noticed your site just shows a warning now.

2) Premier subscription gives you additional features and functionality that is not available directly with individual add-ons. It also puts you in line for answers before others.  It does not provide Consulting or WP development, we will of course provide you the resource documents and advice but Premier is really meant for developers with advanced technical knowledge of WP and CSS.

Currently our developer is fully committed on a few projects and he is not taking on any custom work. We can refer you to obtain a Cybersprocket retainer . There is a link for consulting on our home page that will take you to the Cybersprocket page.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Cici.
    Shaun
    Participant

Hi Cici,

I was able to update everything on my staging environment and messed around by selecting the different available themes until I got it to mostly work like my old site. One small issue is the “Enter city, state or zipcode” line is chopped up.

Staging: http://guerini.staging.wpengine.com/dealers/

Live/Un-updated: https://gueriniusa.com/dealers/

Is there an easy fix for this? I think I’m using “Brewery” style but my site has a custom theme template for the Locator page to do most of the styling. I am not a developer but this appears to be the case as far as I can tell.

Cici
    Keymaster

Did you try a different  Plugin style? Under Settings/View?

there are a few that  allows for the theme to dictate most of the rules for CSS.

Or you can add CSS yourself further on down the page.  Since you have a staging site that is a good place to fool around with the different styles.

I looked at your live site. If you right click on the search box it shows you the search box element and the css. It looks like you were using twentyfifteen rev 02 on that site.

if you go to Settings/View you should see Gallery style with a drop down menu that offers more plugin styles besides the gallery styles.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.