Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kent Iler
    Participant

I bought the Experience Add-On for my website so that I could have a country dropdown for my locator page. I was having a issue where any zip code in the United States was found there even if I wanted to look in another country. I bought the Experience Add-On and setup a dropdown were you can select the country to search in, but it still will find it in the United States unless I put the country code after the zip code. (e.g. 3074, AU)

Cici
    Keymaster

Could you provide us with more information (See the guidelines for posting in forums )  We need your versions etc.  Also do you have a Google MAP API, is your site https etc?  The site url helps.  Google Maps API made some recent changes requiring everyone to now have a MAP API.

Cici
    Keymaster

Since you did not provide the site url page you are having issues with, then please check the  radius behavior settings.  Do you have locations all over the world or just one country?  If you have locations a thousand miles apart have you set your radius to a large enough settings under Results settings?  What does your drop down radius show? It will show results x amount of miles from your Center map at. So If your center map is US and your radius behavior or the dropdown for miles radius is 50, the results that will come back will be 50 miles from the center map

You should set the Search behavior settings as well. The information as to what each setting does is on the sidebar in your SLP admin..Next to Search behavior for instance “.Should the address input be disabled when city, state, or country selectors are used? Allow means address and city/state/zip selectors are both left active at all times. disable means users can interact with either the city/state/zip OR the address but not both at same time.

Because Google doesn’t necessarily know which country certain zip codes are (for instance 3004 is used as a zip /postal code in multiple countries in the world) the SLP  pre-fills the country in text  with whichever country is selected in the drop down, user can then type in the zip code. You can use the CSS Layout to change the order of the search form if it will help direct your customer

I have tested this on my site. I have locations in many countries on my test site and the search and results come back with correct country when Search behavior selector and radius is used correctly.

As a side note: You may also opt to use the SLP Widget for users to navigate to your specific locations by Province, city, etc.  but that does not sound like something you would want.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Cici.
    Kent Iler
    Participant

I apologize the site name is spotnails.com. There is a Google API installed. Last I set the initial search radius under results to 50,000 with no change. As a test I selected the map domain under the map tab to be Australia instead of the United States. I immediately could choose Australia put in zip code 3074 and see the store near that location. I tried under that map selecting the United States and putting in 3074 and it showed me the same location in Australia with no location found.

Kent Iler
    Participant

It seems that with my current configuration of your plugin I cannot search a zip code outside the country that the map domain is set to if it exists inside that country using the country dropdown.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Kent Iler.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Do you have the Search settings to search address nearest as :Worldwide”,   the default search, letting Google make the best guess which address the user wants? . Current Map will find the best matching address nearest the current area shown on the map.  There is no zip code 3074 in the US. If you want Country Influences Guesses, that is part of Premier.

When checked , the selected Map Domain to influence how Google guesses what the user meant when entering a search address.

It sounds like you are trying to use the country drop down but then override it with zip code. (is that what you are looking for?) That is not how it works. If you want to use country dropdown and zip code they must match up.

Please refer to the documentation to see how all these settings interact with each other.

Kent Iler
    Participant

Hello,

I do have it set to use Worldwide. There is a place called Ruston, Louisiana that is found anytime I search that zip code. If I put United States it will show me any store near there. If I put Australia it shows the same spot without any location.  No, I am not trying to override one or the other. I would like the zip code and country to work in tandem.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Kent Iler.
    Kent Iler
    Participant

You are right it is not a zip code it is a state route called LA-3074. Why is your plugin saying that that is a zip code?

Cici
    Keymaster

If you have the search by zip and the drop down to select country ,   the SLP discrete search by country provides overrides to the the Google “search everywhere” .  Your settings under search determines  this.   It doesn’t matter which country domain is set.

Perhaps this explanation under documentation is clearer .

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/blog/store-locator-plus-discrete-searches/

and

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/blog/search-panel-settings/

Cici
    Keymaster

If after reading the documentation you are still having issues send an email with all the pertinent information including your site url, page where you are using the SLP plugin , also versions of  your plugin and add-on ,  php, etc. (As mentioned in the posting guidelines we really work best when we can see your plugin environment and your domain. )

I am beginning to lose site of what you are trying to accomplish on your site.  I cannot look at your settings to guide you   since you have not shared your site url.

Cici
    Keymaster

Looking at your site, You might want to add a label in the search box to provide directions. i.e. If they select ALL countries the Google algorithm will come back with anything with a number in it, you have address / zip. Goolge does not know if you want the address which includes house numbers, streets, or a zip code. If your Center map is in the US, and they do not use drop down to select a specific country then Google is going to assume you want to return any results with any number in it.

You also have errrors on your site that is confounding Google API.  The one that says Sensor not required…that is not coming from SLP. That indicates you have another plugin that is using Google Maps APIs.  You can see that Google is telling you that you have included Google Map API multiple times and also that you dont have Google MAP API. If you updated your site and have some old plugins or a theme that is using Goolge map functions we cannot guarantee your results are going to be accurate.

See below error messages, you can also see them by using your developer tools in any browser.

js?language=en&region=US&key=AIzaSyDk8XRm-Vkjp_1xZimuzHRXzCD6see_vqk&ver=4.8.7:96 You have included the Google Maps API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.

gh @ js?language=en&region=US&key=AIzaSyDk8XRm-Vkjp_1xZimuzHRXzCD6see_vqk&ver=4.8.7:96

util.js:229 Google Maps API warning: SensorNotRequired https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#sensor-not-required

ZB.j @ util.js:229

util.js:229 Google Maps API warning: NoApiKeys https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#no-api-keys

ZB.j @ util.js:229

I suggest you follow the steps in our troubleshooting guide and debug your plugins.  https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/blog/debugging-with-debug-log/

The developer console tools for Google also provides you with instructions on tracking down these error messages

Kent Iler
    Participant

I fixed all the Google API errors are completely cleaned up and still, it does not work. If I set the country as Australia it will not show my any stores near my location unless that location is in Australia. The problem lies in that if it finds a number combination in the US that matches it, even if it is just a state route, it will find that instead.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Kent Iler.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kent Iler
    Participant

To further reiterate this, if I do not use the country code on the end and I select the US or no country at all I get this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

For your country ,  do not set the Map domain as Australia .

if the only issue is Australia, use the “discrete search” it is part of the experience add-on. It does not limit the search to just Australia . For some reason Google has a thing about the postal codes in Australia. It is the Google search algorithms that are causing this. The Australia Postal codes are not unique enough apparently. , We have had other customers who have an issue with Australia searches and the append search worked or the dripdown country discrete filters.  Another suggestion,is to add in the search box label directions for your user so they know they have to add more information.  The more details put into their search the better chances they will have of returning the correct results.  You can also have the dropdown of countries to search using the Widget part of the add-on as well. There are many ways to work around the Google map search by postal code  discrepancy.

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/blog/store-locator-plus-discrete-searches/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.