Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Export locations for new site

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sandra
    Participant

We are moving our site to a new design and need to move the locations from the old site to the new site.  I found this forum that I think indicates I need to buy the $250 upgrade to get this function.  I think we are not eligible for the $70 Pro Pack.

We are on WordPress 4.7.2 and our Store Locator Plus is 4.7.4.

Am I correct that we would have to buy the $250 upgrade to export our locations for the other site?

Here is the forum post I found:
    <p style=”margin: 0in 0in 0pt;”><span style=”color: #1f497d;”><span style=”color: #0563c1; font-family: Calibri;”>https://wp.storelocatorplus.com/forums/topic/export-locations-3/</span&gt;</span></p>

Cici
    Keymaster

WHY are you not eligible to buy ProPack? I am confused about your question. There is a version 4.6.5 of ProPack and I just tested it, it is compatible with SLP 4.7.4

Please see the documentation about exporting.

If you need assistance please read posting guidelines and provide your current Plugin environment so that we can better assist you.

EXPORT TO CSVfile/

BUT if  you are moving your whole WP data  to a new site, be sure to read the best way to do this in one of the authors blogs, you can look at the sidebar on the INFO page and the menu tags, or search with keywords under INFO and NEWS). The author and developer of SLP has over 25 years of software, database, and computer technology experience  and has provided a ton oif articles and  insight , especially he shares his experience regarding things that can goboom,  bang and crash your site(S). See this in DOCS
    Moving to new site

Elizabeth
    Participant

Cici, you didn’t appear to answer the OP’s query.

I say that as a person who likewise purchased the Pro Pack for $70, and am stunned to find that SLP expects me to now pay over 3X ($250, OR- TEN TIMES that amount for a subscription) just to be able to export the listings in our online locator service.

Telling us that “There is a version 4.6.5 of ProPack and I just tested it, it is compatible with SLP 4.7.4” is not an answer when you’ve gated that reality behind what can only be construed by me as extortion fees.

Sure, there may be a “version 4.6.5 of ProPack” that works. We just have to decide we want to pay THREE times as much as we did when we began supporting SLP as a customer, <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>or</span> TEN times as much if we want to ensure that we’re not going to have our data held ransom at some point in the future when SLP decides to charge even more.

I may not understand why SLP has decided to place greed above sound reasoning and ditched us long-time supporters and endorsers (unless we pay your ransom to regain access to our data), but I will be contacting every business I recommended SLP to over the years about this change in business direction of your company, and I will now be looking elsewhere for common sense and positive business practices.

Conclusion: SLP now is the equivalent of ransomware.

Sandra
    Participant

On the Pro Pack (Legacy) page, it says the following:

This add on pack MAY work with the latest version of Store Locator Plus but is not guaranteed to work with versions beyond SLP 4.4.

Since I am on 4.7.4, I didn’t want to buy the Pro Pack and find out it didn’t work…  We had purchased the Enhanced Map premium plug in which no longer works on our site so I didn’t want to purchase something else unless I knew that it works in our environment.

Cici
    Keymaster

@ Sandra   ProPack is compatible with SLP 4.7.4. If all you want to do is export your data you do not need the Power add-on which includes 5 separate add-on  features and updated and improved functionality.   There is also a 30 day money back guarantee.   The author and developer has spent many hours improving the plugin and functions. Updating 20 different add-ons was not cost effective. The announcement in Dec 2015 explained the reason for letting the legacy add-ons stand on their own and to not be updated other than for security patches.  The objective is to  decrease the overhead impact on your system as well as the SLP system.

See FAQ for more info.

@ Elizabeth, aka timothy…Is there something you are asking ? You are  glomming on this particular post  but I do not see a question . Are you and Sandra working together on a project?  You have posted in the past and have had your questions answered expediently.  If you have a question, please post a separate forum question and we will try to help you.

Elizabeth
    Participant

@Cici,

My apologies for having to use the name I registered the software under in behalf of one of my clients, but since the account was created under her name, I didn’t see any point in belaboring the name.

But to answer your question, I found this thread because, like Sandra it seems, I went searching for why I am now unable to export our list from your software.I am not working with Sandra, nor do I know her. We just happen to be experiencing similar situations, and I found your response to her non-responsive and unhelpful.

Apart from my wondering how you justify an increase of over 3X the original cost to those of us who have supported SLP (and purchased add-ons) for years (over 10X the cost to become a subscriber!!), I’ll just ask: what problems can I expect when I downgrade to an older SLP which allows me to regain access to the ProPack, since that seems to be the only reasonable solution short of paying the exorbitant costs to regain the functionality we originally paid for? Specifically, will our online list/database be harmed/damaged in the process?

@Sandra It was not my intention to take over or detract from your topic. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I’m frustrated that I cannot do something which I have been doing for years: month-end export and backing up of my client’s database. My client has thoroughly enjoyed SLP (as have I), but not to the tune of 3X/10X increase in cost which SLP’s owners now charge, which I informed them about this morning when I had to report my failure to be able to backup our online data.

Respectfully,
    Tim, in behalf of client Elizabeth

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

@Sandra – What do you mean you’re not “eligible” for the Pro Pack?   You can buy Pro Pack and it will work with SLP 4.7.4 giving you exports.   So no, you are not correct in your assumption.

As for “may not work past version 4.4” , that is true.  But CiCi already told you it DOES WORK with version 4.7.4.

I put that note on all legacy products over a year ago when I knew I was going to be changing the base architecture of the core plugin to be more efficient AND reduce the number of plugins we offered.   I don’t have a specific drop-dead date for the add ons.   If I can keep them working with a quick 2-minute edit then I make that patch (like I just did with Enhanced Map for 4.7.5).

I know that someday a change in SLP will break something in the legacy add ons and I made the business decision over a year ago to not spend 3 months patching 16 plugins in an effort to improve something in the base product.  That is why the notice is on all the legacy add ons.     If you are worried it will break DO NOT upgrade.

Keep in mind you NEVER are forced to upgrade the base plugin.  EVER.   It will work exactly as it did the day you made your add on purchase.   If  you’re worried it will stop working then DO NOT upgrade the base plugin.   It is that simple.

As a side note to all of this… you are running a business site, correct?  It is kind of important to keep it up and running, right?  You DO have a professional backup service like VaultPress, right?   So you can easily roll back any changes that break your site (like WordPress 4.5 did to thousands of sites)… it is kind of important.   Also it is only $40 PER YEAR for VaultPress.   Seriously, if you don’t have it already you really should.

In addition – you should also ALWAYS have a way to test upgrades on a STAGING site before “going live”.  Nearly every single half-decent WordPress hosting service provides 1-click testing/staging services these days.  If you’re worried an update to SLP base plugin will break Pro Pack, click that “create test/staging” site button, update SLP, and check.

@Elizabeth
    – Read the above statements.  You are not “expected to pay 3x that” just to export.  Pro Pack Legacy still works and exports.

Extortion?  How is that?

Do we FORCE you to upgrade to the latest FREE base plugin?   No.

Do we FORCE you to upgrade to one of the newer add ons or your previous add on will break?  No.   That one time Pro Pack purchase that you paid $50 for and got dozens of FREE updates for stopped workign?  Nope.  No, it will still work just fine.

Have data held ransom?  We do NOTHING to lock up your data.  It is not encrypted.  It is readily available via STANDARD WORDPRESS EXPORTS.  In addition the PRO PACK export still works.

SLP is now ransomware?  I don’t think you know what that word means.

Have to downgrade to use Pro Pack?  Have you been reading ANYTHING CiCi has written or are you just here to vent?    That statement is completely false.

Can no longer do your month-end export and backup of your client’s database?   You’re not really relying solely on the Pro Pack export as a back up are you?   That’s great, but if you are managing client sites you really need to have a real backup service.  Something like Backup Buddy or VaultPress.    (side note: you can transfer locations between sites with VaultPress too, did you know that???)    You CAN still do your Pro Pack exports.  You do NOT have to downgrade to do so.  Also… you are providing your clients monthly maintenance?  Are you charging them a monthly fee or did they pay you once and you give them lifetime support and service for free?

How do you justify the price increase?  You do know that Power is NOT the same product as experience, right?   It includes FIVE different add ons.   Read above and you can find out the reason why I made that change.

Yes it means fewer sales, but as a single man operation I will gladly take 3x fewer customers with 3x  fewer support inquiries for the same revenue.   I also find that those customers that don’t mind paying the higher fee tend to be higher caliber clients.   They are the type that sees value in paying $250 or even $700 for a product that they turn around and resell to multiple clients as part of their $5,000 or even $50,000 web presence packages.   Even those that are “only” charging $1k for that sort of thing have realized that paying $250 for something they’ve re-sold and re-installed dozens of times is still a good deal.   I guess they realized that they don’t expect to go back to the local pub and get free beer every week for the rest of their life because they bought a burger there 3 years ago.

I’m not trying to be all things to all people.   I’m not looking to be the most-installed locator package on WordPress.  I’m trying to build a great product that works better than most and is continually improved and refined to be the best locator you can get “out of the box” and save weeks of time when you purchase an add-on or subscription because I’ve made it easy for developers to tailor the User Experience to their client’s needs without wasting weeks writing code or hacking CSS.   Building THAT product comes at a price.

At the end of the day if my “supporters” come with as much vitriol and venom as you have shown here, I’d rather keep that crowd to a minimum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Export locations for new site’ is closed to new replies.