Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Premier Support "Distance" Not Working Properly When Centered in Certain States.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shad
    Participant

When setting the “Center Map At” field in the Experience tab to Denver, Colorado, the Distance for locations will not update. If I change the Center Map at to San Francisco, California, the Distance field will update but when I center the map back to Denver, Colorado (or anywhere else in the state) the Distance field does not update in the location.

The same problem happens when centering the map in New Mexico and Wyoming (weird that it’s happening to 3 adjacent states).

This is happening with the following versions of the plugin and has been happening at least since version 4.6.3 of SLP.

Store Locator Plus:4.7

Experience:4.6.5

Power:4.6.6

+Pages

Premier:4.7

Cici
    Keymaster

Lance is working on Premier 4.7.1  As we discovered recently Google is messing around with algorithms, not returning valid addresses,  and throwing their advertised locations on the maps n to boot.  Dont know if its related but it probably is.

Cici
    Keymaster

Oh, did y0u clear out the callback lat long when you reset the center nmap at in the MAP UI???

Cici
    Keymaster

SHad is your center map at  a shortcode on the site url page or the back end setting under Experience map? If back end setting, you need to clear out, back space over the callback lat/long, that does not automatically change. try that, sve canges  and let me know if it works

Shad
    Participant

Hi Cici,

The “Center Map At” that I’m changing is in the Experience > Map area. When I enter in Colorado, New Mexico or Wyoming the “Center Latitude Fallback” and “Center Longitude Fallback” are updating correctly and the so is the pin on the “Map Center Fallback.” However the “Distance” on location is still not updating in our results.

I also tried clearing out the lat/long to see if that gave me different results, but it didn’t.

Just to be clear, I have the “Center Map At” at Denver, Colorado and the Lat and Long are correct in Experience and the “Map Center Fallback” is correct as well. Our results are showing that a location in Denver, Colorado is 810.1 miles away which is the same ‘Distance’ when I had previously set the “Center Map At” to California. So even though everything is updating in Experience it’s not updating the Distance information on locations, but only when I set the “Center Map At” to one of those 3 states.

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Shad,

Are you referring to the back end or the front end?   Did you take location sensor off, so that it doesn’t see where you are when you are testing?  (assuming you have https and browsing using Chrome)  I am guessing maybe you have Location sensor turned on?

I am trying to re create your issue and am not getting the problem with Colorado or any other sgtate after re centering map at…

I changed my center map at to Denver Co, added a location TGIF in Denver and the address, distance in the back end (initial distance) under Locations is showing 0.0 miles. As Lance designed it to do back a couple of versions ago.   I’ve changed my map back and forth in the back end, to be Denver Co,,,then Charleston SC.

I Checked under General settings….. off for location sensor, did search again on my regular map page and the distances in the front end are coming back exactly right no matter what I am doing, each time I switch out and re set and clear it comes back with correct distances.  If I check the location sensor on then my distances are coming back from Mount Pleasant no matter what my fallback center map at is set to.

so: my questions..

1) Do you have Location Sensor off or on?

2) Do you have hide distance off or on?

Are your results order by closest farthest?

I am behind in testing Lances updates, that time of year… but he is testing Premier 4.7.1  but I dont think that is what you are talking about …(?)

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/blog/schedule-for-initial-distance/

Shad
    Participant

Cici,

1. Location Sensor is Off.

2. Hide Distance is off.

3. Results are set to Closest…Furthest.

Question for you, when you switch from Denver to Charleston SC and then back to Denver the result is then setting back to 0?

I ask because if I have the “Center Map at” (in the backend) set to Littleton, Colorado and create a new location in Denver, Colorado, the Distance is set to 0.

If I then change the Center Map at from Denver to California, the Distance will update. If I then change “Center Map At” back to Denver, Colorado the Distance not change. It stays at the distance calculated from California.

I have the same problem on multiple different sites too. I wasn’t just testing on the same site so that rules out a weird site issue. Besides testing on the plugins listed earlier I also tested on the most recent beta versions, but still wound up with the same problem.

(In the attachment is a Denver location after I had switched “Center Map at” from Florida and then back to Denver, Colorado. Distance is still showing up as 1583.4 miles).

Shad
    Participant

On an interesting note, using the beta versions of plugins we are getting the following message in the Schedule tab of the General section when the “Center Map at” is set to Denver, Colorado.

“2016-12-22 21:44:42 :: schedule :: Recalculate initial distance needs map center to have a valid longitude. ( -104.990251 )”

The Center Longitude Fallback automatically fills out to “-104.990251” when centering the map at Denver, Colorado. But if I go to google and grab the coordinates from there it gives me “-105.1352965”. Using that longitude then fixes the distance problem. So it seems to be that for Colorado, SLP is generating the wrong the longitude.

Store Locator Plus:4.7.1-beta-5

Experience:4.6.5

Power:4.7.1-beta-4

Premier:4.7.1-beta-4

This Info Cached:1482443055

Network Active:No

WordPress Version:4.7

PHP Version:5.6.29

MySQL Version:5.6.34

PHP Limit:512M

WordPress General Limit:40M

WordPress Admin Limit:512M

PHP Peak RAM:43 MB

PHP Post Max Size:8M

Cici
    Keymaster

Well isnt that special..drat I was hoping it was your location sensor

As far as LT/LON..SLP does not set the longitude nor latitude…your query goes direct to Google, but this does bring up an interesting theory that Lance and I were discussing at lunch. I wonder if it has to do with the Google new algorithm for  addresses that he wrote a post about.

Back to your specific question, using Denver as an example.   I went back and checked and Google set DENVER CO lat as -104.990251  just like you said. So I then went to the commercial Google MAPS  using  Chrome….and just  typed in basic search  as  Denver CO (no address) and this is what I got back:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Denver,+CO/@39.7645183,-104.9955385,11z

So that matches what I have in the back end of SLP….(Are you putting in a more specific address?)

Then Iwent back into the browser and searched Google using the Lat / but different Long that you suggested. I searched for 39.7392358, -105.1352965  and what came back on Google Maps is a specific address , zoom in and it is for Golden Hill cemetery ,,,, are they kidding ?? Cause it doesn’t look like the center of Denver CO when you zoom out again, it is west of it.

With my example I had added a TGIF , so on front end when I search by zip code the distance is coming up right as being 1.1 miles from center of Denver CO

There is an issue somewhere though when I go back and forth  I am having a problem with my map zoom when I have disable initial directory set.  I need to test some more but I don’t think I will have  time until after the holidays since I have family coming in tomorrow.

Ill have to talk to Lance about it and make a note to have him look at this post. If it is relevant to what you guys  are testing on the beta with him mention it.

P.S. Lance’s post after a customer and I found the misinformation coming back from Google recently:

https://wp.storelocatorplus.com/google-holds-back-map-data-again/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.