Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Child Categories Not Showing Up in Search

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Barbara
    Participant

Hi,

Our child categories were showing fine when we were using the tagalong. Since the upgrade to the products that replaced it I’m having problems showing the child categories under the search field.

All that is shows me are the parent categories.

I set the following: under settings -> Category Selector -> Cascading Drop Down

I get only the 2 parent Categories (Spa, Salon). Each of these should have products as their child categories which I can confirm in the categories section.

All the documentation I get or click on to get more info takes me to videos of tagalong

What am I missing here? (I’ve disabled categories until I can show the child categories)

Environment Info:
    Store Locator Plus:4.9.16
    Experience:4.9.14
    Power:4.9.15
    Site URL:https://stogryn.ca
    This Info Cached:1529964044
    Network Active:No
    WordPress Version:4.9.6
    PHP Version:5.5.38
    MySQL Version:5.6.39
    PHP Limit:256M
    WordPress General Limit:40M
    WordPress Admin Limit:256M
    PHP Peak RAM:32 MB
    PHP Post Max Size:1000M

Cici
    Keymaster

Hello,

Understand your frustration about the videos. We have not updated the older SLP videos for a while as many are still useful. The back end of the settings have changed quite a bit for the categories but work the same way. Only diff is Tagalong is now part of Power add-on.

As far as what you are mentioning about the Parent/child and dropdowns, (see bottom of this docs page where it mentions the premier ) although the you tube video refers to settings under categories and Tagalong it still shows you that you MUST have a premier subscription for that feature. the choice of the drop down settings are now under the search form under category but certain drop-down selectors will only show up if you have a Premier subscription.  I believe I answered incorrectly the other day when I said use the cascading for selector type. I was mixing up the tags with the categories for using the selector. tags do not have parent child hierarchy so that was a mistake on my part. I have responded to your developer in email about it.

This doc page about category taxonomy reflects Power add-on

If you had a customized search form on your previous site and you state it had a drop down for parent/child perhaps you had a developer work some magic, but it wasn’t done from the built in selector in the back end of the SLP interface.

The Parent child drop down menu for categories has always been a feature of the premier subscription. You reflect in your info above that you do not have Premier, I have noted that you purchased Power add-on in Feb of 2018 but do not see any Premier purchases.

The 2015 you tube video that the developer posted about that feature is from 2015 and states thus:

“The October 2015 update to Premier Plugin works in conjunction with the 4.3.01 Tagalong release to add a new category selector to Store Locator Plus. The new selector type auto-generates independent drop down menus on the locator search form to filter locations by various assigned categories. Type of dealership or products carried, for example.”

So ignore that part that referes to Tagalong, at the time it was still being sold separate but categories is now part of Power add-on.

as specified in that video it was introduced as a “new” feature” for PREMIER back in the fall of 2015 Premier subscribers already have both Power and Experience included with their purchase and now there are even more features added to Premier, plus Premier subscription price has been dropped.

There are now multiple ways you can show categories in the search element as part of Premier.

In addition to the ones mentioned in the older you tube video, with Premier  there is also Horizontal checkboxes, that will also allow for parent/child , button bars (for single category but uses clciakble category icons) and the cascading single parent dropdown.

I do not recall a Parent/child dropdown menu as being available on search form ever if you had  just tagalong (or Power) as a stand alone product. I recall it was in a  release of the premier subscription a few years ago. You can see the details of that feature listed under the description for Premier plug-in (not sold separately but shown as the plugin that goes along with the subscription)
    The horizontal checkbox for categories was developed more recently as part of a paid customization for a premier customer and also shows parent/child.

If you wish to update to Premier, please send an email to support and they may be able to give you a coupon towards the Premier sign up fee.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.