Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus ÅÄÖ in search dont work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Piani
    Participant

Hi and a Happy New Year!

Long time but still around. SLP have been doing its thing and I had no problems. Just read about the changes with Google API keys and its a mess to find out how this will affect us but I will continue with the plugin version until I get a invoice from Google 🙂

Store Locator Plus:5.0.1
    Experience:5.0.1
    Power:5.0
    Premier:5.0
    WordPress-version:5.0.2
    PHP-version:7.1.25

Todays problem after updating is that when searching for cities containing Swedish letters (ÅÄÖ) I dont get any hits. This have worked with no problems before. I try to figure it out if its SLP, Google or some WP5 setting that have changed.

Example: Searcing for “Malmö” gets the responce “Could not locate this address. Please try a different location.

My search page with map

Searching for “Malmo” (with an o) acually works fine but my visitor wont do this.

Piani
    Participant

Sidenote. I try to find this message to translate it to swedish but no luck in settings or language files. Is it missing?

Could not locate this address. Please try a different location.

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Leif,

Umm, if it worked before and not working suddenly now….I am going to blame the WP auto updates that broke tons of  themes, plugins, prevents import of csv files..

what a mess!)

In fact there appears to be  internationalization bugs reported and supposedly fixed in WP 5.02.  They specifically mentioned the Scandinavian aao characters, but I know nothing about how different languages are handled,  I just am good at searching “stuff”. Cannot see this being SLP defect.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45425

But was it?

There is yet another bug reported and it has not been addressed.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45371

I have mentioned this to Lance, but as you know we do not deal with the languages end, \

Cici
    Keymaster

I guess they didnt have it as a bug that was closed but they set it to “invalid in the first report code tracker and it had to do with sorting but they mentioned those characters :

The WP codex answer was :::”””Better to ask this question over at the support forum: wordpress.org/support But in short: The sorting is not done by WordPress, but by your database. “”””

Not sure what to tell you

Piani
    Participant

I just updated to WP 5.0.3 but the problem is still there. Is there andy  charset setting in SLP where I must write in UTF8 ?

My data is correct in the database so it seems SLP search question have an error or have been messed up by WordPress 5.

I still havent found the place to fix the translation for “Could not locate this address. Please try a different location.”. Would be nice to be able to change this to Swedish and add “try remove ÅÄÖ”.

Cici
    Keymaster

Piani,

I really am lost. I have mentioned to Lance, if you have access to Slack you might be able to chat with him there. He is currently in a big project with a large client  so I am not sure how soon he can look into this. But I honestly am lost with the whole translation thing and I have no idea what WP did. I came up with some ideas just by researching in wP and trying to find reported bugs but I am out of my element

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

I cannot even reply to this post in WordPress 5.X from the front-end / standard form.   I’m using a custom admin back-end form and manually setting the POST ID to write this.

I can reply to all other posts EXCEPT this one with the UTF-8 characters.

I’m guessing WordPress 5 is still a mess.

Have you tried downgrading/testing this on a site using WordPress 4.X with the latest SLP 5 release?    I’m thinking it will work on WP 4.9.8 with SLP 5.X plugin versions.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

This sort of thing is why I’ve told every single client and contact that has asked my advice to STAY AWAY from WordPress 5.

It may look shiny and new but it is garbage IMO.

Maybe if they fix the trazillion bugs they introduced by WordPress 5.1 it will be a good tool.  In the meantime the few sites we are running WP 5 on have become a nightmare to work with and manage.   Too many “little things” we keep finding on a daily basis.

Piani
    Participant

To test this I have now downgraded my WordPress to 4.9.8. (With this addon WP Downgrade)

Store Locator Plus:5.0.1
    Premier:5.0.1
    WordPress-version:4.9.8
    PHP-version:7.1.26

But unfortunatly this did not solve this issue. Try on my SLP page https://piani.se/butiker/

Search with “Malmö” vs “Malmo” and “Göteborg” vs “Goteborg”

My first thought is that someting then must have changed in SLP 5 with the search request (regarding UTF8), but I cant confirm that the update5.0.3/downgrade4.9.8 is still lurking in the database somehow.

Please advice how to continue.

jmaad
    Participant

Me too!! with SPANISH. Help Please!

https://www.ubp.edu.ar/modalidades/centros/

Search with “Córdoba” vs “Cordoba”

Store Locator Plus®:5.0.1
    Site URL:https://www.ubp.edu.ar/modalidades/centros/
    WordPress Version:5.0.3 (and test with 4.9.8 too)
    PHP Version:7.0.30-0+deb9u1
    MySQL Version:5.5.5

Months ago he was perfect!!! But now, the search is broken.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Piani, The message could not locate this address is being returned by Google itself. Looking at the various codex and issues with WP and trying it in Google commercial maps (no issue) and then using the  special characters with the API search my guess is it is yet another issue that Google has introduced.

I will run the theory by Lance  so dont quote me. But since you are now  paying Google directly  to use their Google API now, it wouldn’t hurt if you would send the query to their support as well.

Cici
    Keymaster

Pianai et al,

I think Lances fix to how WP was handling spaces and characters may fix your issue. I just tested on my site and  searched “Malmö and it came back with correct location in Sweden.

Update SLP to version 5.03

Cici
    Keymaster

@  jms So it wasnt Google, it was changes to WP in combo possibly with SLP 5.0.1 . Please update SLP to version 5.0.3   test it and let us know.  I tested with special character on my own site and a result came back with a pin on the Map.

My test,]

I have locations  on a speaaret page that is only Costa Rica, it returned results around Cordoba Costa Rica with the word typed with accents. I then tested it on my locations list page with the accent and it returned the Google MAP view for Cordoba Spain

See attached scrreenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Piani
    Participant

I can confirm that the fix in 5.0.3 is solving this problem. Thanks for a fast solution.

Issue can be closed.

Store Locator Plus:5.0.3
    Premier:5.0.3
    WordPress-version:5.0.3
    PHP-version:7.1.26

Cici
    Keymaster

YAY!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘ÅÄÖ in search dont work’ is closed to new replies.