Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jesse1
    Participant

Hello,

When I search for a suburb or postcode in the search bar, results vary. For e.g. if I search ‘somerset’ it will say ‘no locations found’. But if I search ‘somerset tasmania’ it will appear as it should.

My question is, how can I get this function to work without having to add ‘Tasmania’ as well? When it says ‘no locations found’ it appears to be searching in America and not Tasmania. How do I fix this?

Thanks

Cici
    Keymaster

Google APIs search engine assume sUnited States.  There are a few pages in our docs that address this. Set your map domain , or use discrete search functions or use shortcode to append to search Tasmania only.

(In the future please follow the posting guidelines and provide your SLP plugin environment information and site url  so that our answers can apply more for your situation and we know if you have add-ons etc.) 

jesse1
    Participant

Hi Cici,

My apologies –  I have attached screenshots.

I do not have the additional ‘Experience’ plugin so not sure if the discrete search applies to me. The map domain is set to Australia and Tasmania so it should be right? See attachments.

Any other ideas?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Thanks for providing the information. yes, Google seems to have issues at various times as they constantly change their algorithms for their third party  MAPS API. That is nothing new with their operating logic. But now that they have started tracking every single site and require a paid service, i.e adding your credit card , they offer slightly better support according to some of our customers.

All of their Suggestions have been, search with more detail rather then less. For something like Somerset, even in Australia, it could be anything. A street, a city, a hotel, so they require more info rather then less be added to the search.

The easiest solution is to add instructions on your search label or on the page suggesting the search criteria be more specific.   If ALL your locations are in  Tasmania you could add the Append shortcode but that would require the experience add-on as mentioned.

P.S. that site page has error. This may also be contributing to issues. Use browser dev tools to inspect site and check under console for errors to see what is causing this . It could be ANOTHER PLUGIN,or your theme that is also using Google MAPS API?  Or did you enter same API key in both the browser and geocoding section? You should only have it under SLP in browser unless you restricted the key

ERROR at http://www.bigbargaintas.com.au/store-finder/

“You have included the Google Maps JavaScript API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.

Gh @ js?v=3.exp&key=

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.