Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

We’ve been surprised by terribly high bills from Google the past couple of months and have worked to determine the cause. We use the WordPress plugin and have it configured to import about 3400 locations from a CSV daily. I have “Skip Geocoding” checked on the Locations >> Import tab, and even removed the “Google Geocoding Key” on the General >> Server tab. Both “Geocoding” and “Initial Distance” Tasks on the General >> Schedule tab are set to “Never”. Yet it still appeared that the 3400 locations were being geocoded each day (times two, since we have the same locations imported into two different sites running SLP).

I restricted each API key to just Maps JavaScript, Maps Embed, and Places within the Google Cloud Platform control panel. Now, users aren’t able to search for a location (although the initial results show fine when they load the page that SLP is installed on).

1. Am I missing a setting? Why would our locations continue to be geocoded daily despite the settings configured this way?
    2. Are there other adjustments necessary on the Google Cloud Platform control panel?
    3. Would you recommend switching ot MySLP instead?
      1. Would we have API fees at all with MySLP?
      2. Can we use MySLP with WordPress?
      3. Do we have to load our locations into MySLP if we switch? Basically, how much of a pain would this be?
    4. If we switch, can we get prorated credit for the payments we’ve already made to SLP for the WordPress plugin version?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. At this point, we’re looking at over $30 per day in charges from Google, and we’ve already paid over $1200 in API fees. So we’re definitely interested in solving this ASAP!  =)

THANK YOU!

Cici
    Keymaster

Some suggestions and how the import works. I.E Importing columns with Sl_id, skip means do not add those that already exist.

Removing the geocoding key has nothing to do with the actual geocoding function charges the geocoding part is included in the MAPS JAVASCRIPT API regardless.
    , The geocoding key has to do with referrer restrictions. The key added in the back end under Google browser, i.e “browser Google API key ” is the one needed and it includes Geocodes. Otherwise no one would be able to find your locations. I do not know how many visitor you have to your site but every single Map view, as in building the maps as well, each tile is counted against the credit. Not sure why you are importing twice a day but that is going to have a huge impact unless you have the exact sl_id, the exact lat and long each import.

Have you reached out to Google support ? See how they calculate the costs.

Suggestions to reduce the Geocoding costs:

Enable the location sensor with the Power add on. Users will not have to enter their address which incurs a $0.0056 charge for each address entered.

If you have limited locations , set your Center Map At, Radius, and Locations Shown At Start to show all the locations when the map first loads. Hide the search form so users cannot type in a new address. This can all be done with the Experience add on.

When updating locations with the Power import, only import NEW and changed locations. Delete locations using bulk actions for those you no longer need. This can significantly reduce Geocoding calls. It is much faster and far less expensive than deleting every single location with a bulk delete and reloading an entire list.

If you need to delete all locations and perform a fresh import, consider staring with a Store Locator Plus™ location export. This will ensure the latitude and longitude are included — skipping the geocoding for those locations. Update that spreadsheet with the revised location data. If you do delete all locations , Delete the Store ID (sl_id) column before saving back to a CSV file. Import the updated CSV file with latitude/longitude on most locations (it is OK if new locations do not have lat/long). If you are creating the CSV file from an external source, try adding a latitude and longitude field to the source data; enter coordinates for locations you know (you can get them from SLP after an initial import if necessary), and make sure the lat/long fields are in your CSV file that you are about to import into Store Locator Plus.

As far as MySLP.
    1) With MySLP there is a charge overages based on map views that are tracked. We cannot absorb your $1000 a month cost. We have had small regional store chains use the MySLP software and they were averaging about $300-$400 in additional MYSLP fees on top of the $55 a month Enterprise level fee, I have no idea how much yours would be.
    2) No we do not give partial Premier credits.
    3) Yes you would need to load the locations into MYSLP, probably would have to export your locations to a csv file, delete the sl_id column and import them into MYSLP, the SLP menu looks the same, , there is also a basic load transfer, i would suggest paying the one month and testing it out on a staging or dev site first.

Your WP SLP settings cannot be transferred so you would need to have a full back-up and check the settings you had in the stand alone SLP plugin for everything, i.e if you use cluster map markers, CSS etc.
    4) yes it works with WP.

If you are using SEO Pages MySLP is not for you, if you are using SLP premier on multisite, MySLP is not for you.
    To receive same features you would need the Enterprise, plus , as stated any Map views over the quoata will be charged against you.
    See the MYSLP basic info about charges . See the Documents where the two can be compared

Cici
    Keymaster

P.S. I see by previous questions over the past year that you are using multisite, so MYSLP would not work for you, you would need a separate subscription plan for each site.

Cici
    Keymaster

Bottom Line,
    I have re read and reviewed all of the google Platform MAPs API and billing and limits on usage.

https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#usage_apis

I think your best bet is if you are importing twice a day you should export and have the lat and long already filled in if you are not importing brand new locations. And also follow the importing guidelines. I.E if you are using the sl_id column you would need to make sure they match the exact unique location. If you are deleting and re-importing all your locations twice a day and they do not have lat long you may exceed the Google limits.

Alternatively Google has suggestions in their documentation on setting quotas etc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.