Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Bug: search also includes name location

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vissersj
    Participant

<span style=”color: #32373c; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>I think there is a bug in the search function, because it also give results if you enter a location name. I think the search function should only search in the postal codes and addresses from the locations.</span>

Example: Go to https://tinyurl.com/y6wwm47m and search for ‘foenix’ or ‘2switch’ . It’s not a post code, address or city, only a location name.

Cici
    Keymaster

That is not a BUG: Perhaps this is the simplest way to explain the situation….Google interface and how Google map works when performing a search.

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/search-panel-settings/

Google API now requires the Places API because that is where they now have the geolocation service.Google API Key Setup

If you elected to go with the “we can do it ourselves” option by using the WordPress plugin you’re going to need an API key for Store Locator Plus® to work on your website. You need to:

Go to the Google Maps Platform site
    Get Started
    Check off Maps and Places
    If you do not have a Google account they’ll make you create one
    Setup a billing account with Google
    Add your credit card information
    Copy the API key they gave you

js Client for Google Maps Services. The Places API and the client libraries are for use in server applications. … The Places API is a service that returns information about places using HTTP requests. Places are defined within this API as establishments, geographic locations, or prominent points of interest.

Next time you post Please read the Posting instructions and provide your WPSLP plugin environment

Cici
    Keymaster

Do you have an add-on enabled? please provide your plugin environment

https://docs.storelocatorplus.com/search-panel-settings/

You can always change your search box label and just put in the words zip code instructing visitors to only use a zip code

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Cici.
    vissersj
    Participant

Thanks, I understand now that results are generated by Google Maps API and in practice that means that almost every word/input will give a result. I don’t use add-ons.

Store Locator Plus®:5.5.6

Site URL:

This Info Cached:1588085114

Network Active:No

WordPress Version:5.4

PHP Version:7.3.6

MySQL Version:10.2.15

PHP Limit:256M

WordPress General Limit:40M

WordPress Admin Limit:256M

PHP Peak RAM:66 MB

PHP Post Max Size:16M

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by vissersj.
    Cici
    Keymaster

In your case, it is returning the actual location in your database from the location name.  If I were to put  in a name of something, for example the name of a restaurant here, and   Google did not have that  in their MAP  that was within your radius set no locations would be shown.

It is a combination of what Google recognizes as a place AND what is within your locations, within your radius settings.  Lower the default radius and you may not find any locations returned even if you have the store name in your locations.

(See search by radius for more info).

For instance if I go your site and search for a restaurant near me. Broken Egg, nothing is returned.  Because it is not   already geolocated in your SLP locations NOR  a city or a state  or a country that Google interprets and that is also in your database. The city or state or name HAS to be in your locations database  and within the results you set for it to return a result.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Bug: search also includes name location’ is closed to new replies.