Store Locator Plus 4.0 (SLP4) was officially released today.
What Is Store Locator Plus?
Store Locator Plus adds a store finder to your WordPress site. Store finders, where a user types in their zip code and get a map of stores closest to them, are often one of the most-visited pages on a website. Store Locator Plus is a free plugin for WordPress sites that provides the basic features and functionality of the administrative interface and user interface in one easy-to-use package. For websites that are looking to extend the feature set provided by the base plugin, Charleston Software Associates provides a number of premium add-on packs that can be added to the free base plugin for a nominal charge. All add-on packs are true add-ons that work in conjunction with the base plugin in a non-disruptive way, allowing the add-on packs to be added at any time while mixing-and-matching for the features you need.
What Is New In SLP4?
The new update has a focus on building customized user experiences without leaving the Store Locator Plus admin panel within WordPress. Here are some of the highlights:
- Customize the order of the search form, map, and results areas as well as provide basic HTML control over that layout with the Pro Pack.
- Modify the search form interface using a mix of search-form-specific short codes and HTML and tailor the search form to match your site with Enhanced Search.
- Tweak the layout of the info bubbles that appear when clicking map pins or results with Enhanced Map.
- Create a unique format for the results below the map with Enhanced Results.
- Import your CSV data more quickly and with less geocoding issues with an enhanced Pro Pack import.
- Export your locations back to CSV for simple mass edits and re-import with the Pro Pack.
- Categorize your locations with Tagalong and add category icon arrays to the results (requires Enhanced Results) and display a legend near the map (requires Pro Pack).
There are literally hundreds of changes to the base plugin and add-on packs, too numerous to list in a single post. Some are behind-the-scenes updates that improve performance, reduce the memory footprint, or increase stability of the product. Others are visible changes that add new features or functionality to the base plugin or add-on packs. There is also a multitude of new hooks and filters to assist in the creation of several new plugins slated for release in the coming months.
Upgrading From Previous Versions?
If you are upgrading from a previous version of Store Locator Plus and are using add-on packs please take note:
Store Locator Plus 4 is NOT COMPATIBLE with the Store Locator Plus 3 add-on packs.
You must follow this procedure to upgrade to Store Locator Plus 4:
- Login to your Charleston Software Associates account.
- Purchase the SLP4 compatible version of your add-on packs.
- Download the SLP4 add-on pack zip files.
- Login to your website’s WordPress admin panel.
- Deactivate and delete all of your SLP premium add-on packs.
- Upgrade Store Locator Plus to SLP version 4.x.
- Install your newly downloaded SLP4 add-on pack zip files.
- Active the newly installed add-on packs.
Comments, Suggestions, and Issues
This is a new release that has undergone extensive beta testing and “in-house” testing. However I do not expect the release to be flawless. A couple-dozen beta testers, of which a handful actively tested the product, is not nearly enough to test literally tens-of-thousands of combinations of features, settings, WordPress theme compatibility or compatibility with other plugins.
If you run into issues or just want to share helpful feedback please use the forums to do so. As a single-man operation using the forum provides the most efficient method to communicate as I can answer questions once and multiple people can follow along which greatly reduces email clutter.
Help me help you by providing details, your website URL, and any steps to reproduce issues.
If you are requesting a feature please use the voting process described in the Voting For Features post.
Thank you for your interest and support of my WordPress Plugins.