Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Premier Support Map/Locations Not Showing & Google API Keys

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shad
    Participant

When creating a new site, whether using older legacy plugins or the most up to date version of slp (4.5.06), neither the slp map nor locations are showing up.

A view of errors on the page results in :
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Google Maps API error: MissingKeyMapError https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#missing-key-map-error</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>_.ab @ js?language=en&region=US&ver=4.5.06:32</p>
    If I create a google API and add it into General Settings, the map and locations then appear.

From my understanding we shouldn’t need to insert a google API in order for the plugin to work though, correct?

This is only affecting new sites. All previously created sites are running perfectly fine without the google api code.

Any idea as to why this might be happening?

site: lauraelling.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Shad
    Participant

https://developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/standard-plan-2016-update

Looks like Google Maps API plans has updated.

“Active domains created before June 22, 2016, continue to be able to access the Google Maps JavaScript API, Static Maps API, and Street View Image API without an API key. They are not affected by keyless access being unavailable for new domains.”

Cici
    Keymaster

Well well well, isn’t that special!  I guess we can’t plead ignorance, they have been providing warnings in the consoles for a while now, I guess I will let Lance write a new blog on this

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Shad,

Just to clarify, the SLP plugin is not the issue. As you referenced this is something Google is now requiring for any new domains. This is not something within the power of plugin authors to control. Google is not selling an overarching license to any developer to allow them to use the map api for multiple new site domains is the way I am reading it. Each new domain has to have its own API key.  We suspect that they will i the future push for pay as you go, as they mention the free API key allows quite a few look-ups per day.   Speak to Lance on Slack and he can provide you more detail. He is back in the office starting tomorrow.

thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Cici
    Keymaster

P.S. I am reading the same in other WP developers support chains  that are using Google MAP API keys, and their forum posters are reporting same issues.

Shad
    Participant

Hi Cici,

From what we can tell, it is NOT the SLP Plugin itself and is solely a Google Maps API update.  We will keep you posted if we run across any new info.

Shad

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Google is now (as of a few days ago) requiring API keys on ALL map requests from any domain that has not had a map request in the past few months.

That means EVERY SINGLE NEW WEB ADDRESS where you place a Store Locator Plus map will need to have a registered Google API key.   They key is free but they only allow so-many page loads per day before you have to start paying for map loads.

I saw the writing on the wall over a year ago when they “suggested” getting an API key.  It was more obvious in the past 6 months when you started seeing “No API Key” warnings in all JavaScript calls if you did not enter a valid Google API Key under Store Locator Plus General /Server / Google Server API Key.       Then last week they turned that warning into an error.

I’ll be updating SLP to be more obvious about this, but the short answer is that you must now have a Google API key registered for every website.

Shad
    Participant

That’s pretty much the conclusion we came to as well 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Map/Locations Not Showing & Google API Keys’ is closed to new replies.