Super Extendo description is misleading

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Super Extendo description is misleading

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  j 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Eugene
    Participant

I want to say I think the product description for the Super Extendo add-on is misleading. It says:

Current version does NOT allow the addition or self-created data fields.

ok, but then right under that it says:

The Super Extendo plugin enables the ability of Store Locator Plus locations to have up to 250 extra data fields to be attached to the location data. The extra data is added and edited just like built-in location data and is handles as if it were part of the native Store Locator Plus location data.

So which is it? Can you add your own location fields or not? Well we purchase this plugin hoping we could and apparently we cannot. We would like to add fields for social media link with icons and whatever else we want in the future. This add-on seems like it would do that but it just adds two of it’s own location fields

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

What is described is what Super Extendo is designed to do.  The developer that was working on that feature set has not delivered yet and cannot give me an ETA on those features.    I was given multiple delivery dates that led me to believe the functionality was “imminent” which is why I put the page online when the Enhanced Results Featured Listings (which depends on extended data features) went online.

In the meantime the base functionality of that plugin, which I helped design with the developer, is working properly and is the basis for extending the feature sets of existing and yet-to-be-released add-on packs.

If I cannot get an ETA from the developer I may role the base functionality into Store Locator Plus and pull Super Extendo from the product list.   That will allow other add-on packs to work with extended data without relying on the Super Extendo plugin.    If/when the developer can get the self-managed fields functionality underway the plugin will be re-released.

As a first step toward the “alternate plan”, I bundled Super Extendo into the purchase of Enhanced Results and the new Contact Extender plugin earlier today.  Those two add-on packs build on Super Extendo    I will be editing the Super Extendo page in the next day or two (after dealing with support requests and email) to take down the “what it was supposed to be” message until it is actually available.

Eugene
    Participant

Thank you for this clarification and the actions you are taking to correct this. We need to add a field to the locations and are developers. I have been looking through your tech doc and videos but could you save us some time and tip me off to the basics of adding fields to locations?

I just watched the video talking about saving map settings but is there a hook you have provided so I can add fields to the locations form?

Thanks for a great plugin and all your efforts!

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

The best way to manage this right now is to create your own “Social Settings” add-on pack for Store Locator Plus.   It is easy if you know basic PHP code and can copy the setup of Contact Extender.   The steps are fairly simple.

Create a directory under ./plugins and call it something like “slp-social-settings”.

Take all the files from the Contact Extender plugin and put them in the slp-social-settings folder.  Make sure you get the subfolders.

Rename slp-contact-extender.php to slp-social-settings.php.

Open each of the php files (there are 4 that count, index.php is a “blocker file”) and rename the classes.  Make sure you scan the code and change any new ClassName() calls to match.

For the “magic sauce” that adds the data fields, look in ./include/class.activation.php and go to the update method.  You will see all of the “add_field” calls for Contact Extender.    You will want to replace all of those lines with your own field names.    None are required and they can be any name you like as long as it is not a MySQL reserved word like “INDEX” or something like that.

It looks like a lot of code, but if you removed all of the comments and built-in code docs it is probably no more than 150 functional lines of code and most of that is class and method definitions.

If you don’t want to embark on such an endeavor I can build custom data add-ons fairly quickly now after the past 3 weeks working on refining the underpinnings to make Contact Extender happen.   One $500 code-day (plus a few days testing & documenting) and I can create a new add-on pack to match your requirements.  You just give me the field list and I do what I need to in order to make it work for you.    I figure if someone needs/wants it enough to sponsor a $500 code-day there are likely others that need/want it so it is worth the time & effort to build it as a standard add-on pack and “add it to the list”.

Eugene
    Participant

Thanks so much for the info., Lance! Content Extender was not part of the Kitchen Sink package when we purchased it. Is there another simple add-on that I can model mine after?

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

@eugene – email me at info@ and I’ll get you started.

j
    Participant

Lance, thanks for the suggestion above re:using Contact extender as a guide for extending location data. That was exactly the boost I was looking for.

Sadly, I purchased Contact Extender and it appears to have done nothing.  Possible I’ve installed wrong? Here’s what I’ve done.

1) Updated SLP4 to latest version

2) Uninstalled Old Super Extendo.

3) Install  and activate newest Super Extendo in case it was updated

4) Install and activate newest Contact Extender

5) Re-install Store Pages

Currently my Super Extendo tab shows no custom fields, and contact fields were not added to my locations management admin. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

j
    Participant

Oh, also, right off the bat I get the error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method SLPlus::is_AddonActive() in /nfs/c09/h04/mnt/139805/domains/dev.steveandkatescamp.com/html/wp-content/plugins/slp-contact-extender/include/class.adminui.php on line 116

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  j.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Your base plugin is outdated.  Please update to the latest release.

j
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Lance. If you mean update to SLP4.0.033? I’d already done so. 🙁

Here’s everything I’ve got (attached). Also, I activated everything in the following order: SLP4 first, then Super Extendo to allow data to be extended, then Contact Extender, then Store pages.  Still haven’t managed to get it fired up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

j
    Participant

Aha! I’m sorry, this may be an awkward place to share this information but…

Initially, Contact Extender appeared to do nothing at all upon install, but I’ve found a bit more to it

To make sure the plugins actually work properly, I created a fresh install of wordpress 3.71. In here, these plugins fired up as expected if activated in proper order (SLP4, Extendo, then Contact Extender). Perfect!
    However, my dev server has same setup and I can’t seem to get Contact Extender to do anything.

On this server if I deactivate, reactivate, or reinstall extendo and contact extender, I saw no change to the tables in the database for wp_slp_extendo_meta or wp_slp_extendo or on screen behavior.

If I manually removed the SLP database tables via phpMyAdmin, reinstall SLP4.033, the tables are never re-created and SLP fails entirely.

Only when I actually dropped the entire WP table and installed fresh WP and fresh SLP4 do the tables reappear, and only then does Contact extender wake up. In my case, I think I accidentally activated Contact extender prior to activating Super Extendo before realizing this wasn’t smart. 😀  Nothing I did after that moment had any effect, including deleting and reinstalling.

I see documentation of issues from Oct re: MySQL 5+ with strict types enabled. Possible I’m dealing with same?

Aside from this, it does seem SUPER easy to use Contact Extender as a roadmap for extending with Super Extendo.
    Anyone experiencing similar?  Discover magical remedy? 😉

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.