Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Store Locator Plus Some U.S. Zip Codes Not Returning Results

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Samantha
    Participant

I am starting a new post based on your response to my question about a Google Javascript API error I am getting.

Here is that thread: https://wp.storelocatorplus.com/forums/topic/searching-by-zip-code/#post-57669

Here is the plugin environment information:

Store Locator Plus™:4.9.19
    Power:4.9.20
    Site URL:https://www.wishekmfg.com
    This Info Cached:1538399578
    Network Active:No
    WordPress Version:4.9.8
    PHP Version:7.1.22
    MySQL Version:5.5.5
    PHP Limit:256M
    WordPress General Limit:40M
    WordPress Admin Limit:256M
    PHP Peak RAM:62 MB
    PHP Post Max Size:16M

https://www.wishekmfg.com/find-a-dealer/

The issue we are experiencing is not consistent. Meaning I can search Zip Codes and I will get the correct results back. For example search the Zip Code – 58104. It will return results for a location with that Zip Code first.

We are having issues with one zip code in particular – 58631

If you search using that it states in the results – “Could not locate this address. Please try a different location.”

But if you search for Glen Ullin it brings back the correct results.

I even tried deleting this location and then added it back in. It didn’t make any difference.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Ugh, I had this huge long answer for you and I backed out without submitting.

Basically, it is the Google Algorithms and their constant changes to them. The reason the name of the city associated with that zip code comes back with location is that is a unique query, i.e the name of the town

If you type in the zip code into a google commercial maps (I am attaching some screen shots one is using the Google Commercial Public map ) google asks if you want to add location.

Is it because Google has so many more APIS out there to sell you? Is it because google wants everyone, including local businesses to only use them? is it world dominance? Who knows.

But what google is saying is that search with those numbers is not unique or specific enough. The Google stack overflow etc says that zipcode is now an identifier, like an adjective. Other wise those string of numbers could be a street number or another part of an address. Or Google does not have that zip in their database (hard to believe that but maybe)

I added some links for suggestions in our docs. Basically it is,, add a label in search form for more info to enter,

How to change the label when no results found ..whatever you deem helpful

Search tips

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Samantha
    Participant

Thanks for all of the information it has been very helpful.

Cici
    Keymaster

No problem, wish I could solve for you  , we are looking into non Google options but in the past they have never been worth pursuing. Now with all of Google changes…it is worth taking another look at it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.