Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Is there a way that I can require user to choose a catagory?

We have multiple product lines and some of our dealers dont carry all of them.

If a consumer does not “Choose Product” and just enters their zip code, dealer who do not carry the product they are looking for may come up.

Here is a link to our site: http://www.rhpeterson.com/find-a-dealer/

And I attached an screenshot of our Plugin Environment.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cici
    Keymaster

Lance has a new premier version that he has customized for a customer, see the video he has produced within the docs for  the Category button bar

If that is not exactly what you want to do, you can try changing the Search form layout with html. The layout docs page should help you. If you need assistance with the format, I will have Lance contact you or you can send him a quick chat in the Slack channel. He is in the middle of coding and updating the Power add-on and customization but he might be able to give you a quick answer. if you are not part of the Slack channel yet and wish to be, send a quick email thru the Contact us

Ben
    Participant

So far i have not been able to figure it out.  Im not sure why it is happening now, but it is causing alot of problems.

I made the request to be part of the Slack channel, but have not heard back.

Cici
    Keymaster

Was it working differently before? You say it is causing a lot of problems.  Could you clarify if it was working differently before and now is not behaving the same as you had set it up, that would give us some insight.  We can send you an earlier version of Power if that is the case.  he is just about to release Power 4.9.1 but wants to make sure it fixes any issues customers were having before .

The developer is inundated with some issues created by the WP auto update  and is looking into WP, SLP and Power javascript and is working on a customization project that he has a deadline for . I apologize if the login credentials have not been sent to you as yet.

I just got off the phone with him and thought he had been communicating with you in Slack  since he has been working with a customer on Power issue.

Do you have aback-up of your site to roll back to if need be?  Also, if he needs to log into your site he will need you to have a staging or dev  site. He will not work on live sites

Ben
    Participant

Hi Cici,

Yes it was acting differently before, at least  I was not getting the same complaints as before.

No communication via Slack, but I am not signed up with Slack so it was probably a different customer.

Yes i have a back up for thirty days.

I dont know how to setup a dev site or stage site.

Sorry about the hassle.

Cici
    Keymaster

Setting up a staging site can be done with jetpack. See info here

It is bvery important, especially if you have a live Production site to have a back-up/restore plan. That is also included with Jetpack and follows WordPress best practices.  The developer had written a few articles about this.

https://www.storelocatorplus.com/news/wordpress-site-backup/

In the meantime you can roll back Power to an earlier version. The developer is working through issues.

As a side note,  you should consider securing your site with a valid SSL. Many Google Map features will not work  unless you have a valid certificate on a secure site. One of the features that exist in previous versions of ProPack and now in Power is Location sensor.  That will not work with Chrome version higher then 50.  Mozilla Firefox is going the same route with their latest security updates as are many other browsers. Additionally your map markers may not load or you may see a warning in the back end of SLP.

Another observation: Your theme has an error and will not load certain elements. This error is being shown in the console.  If this image tries to load first, everything after it will be stopped.

http://www.rhpeterson.com/find-a-dealer/

GET http://www.rhpeterson.com/images/rhplogo.png 404 (Not Found)

There are some other violation events but I am working with the developer to see if they could be creating issues.

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Ben,

You were invited to Slack, we see you as a valid member of the CharlestonSW slack channel.

I am meeting with Lance today

1) Force category.  You want to force the site visitor  to , select the product category , thus returning only by Product category. Is this a correct assumption?

We were on your site and I showed Lance how it was currently working. He just fixed it and it will be released in Power 4.9.1.

Please let us know if that is NOT what you are looking for.

Ben
    Participant

Hi Cici,

That is exactly what I am looking for.  If the new update had that, i would be very happy!

Yes i got into the slack channel- Thank you.

Cici
    Keymaster

Oh good.

It may not be released until after the weekend, he is working feverishly until then but has to take his son to a boy scout event for  the weekend.

If you cannot wait, I can try to  email you an older version of Power but you would also need to roll back SLP to pre 4.9.   If you had a dev or staging site you could try the patched pre release. (not to be used on live sites)  It would be very much appreciated for anyone to help testing so we can check against many different configurations.

Ben
    Participant

I can wait until next week, i will be out at the beginning of the week too.

Ben
    Participant

Hi Cici,

I just updated to Power 4.91,  Is there a tutorial on how to create the force choose option?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Cici. Reason: cateory
    Cici
    Keymaster

Under settings/search/category/single drop down, under category selector leave first entry empty, do not add a label. This forces people to select a category. I have attached a screenshot, remember to save and refresh after doing this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.