Tagged: discrete search
December 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM #36637
I’ve reviewed your documentation and discussion on Discreet Search Behavior and I’m going to layout my specific scenario, the results I’m getting and my suggestions. Hopefully this will help in finding a solutions that works for all.
We are a non-profit organization using your plugin to show thousands of locations worldwide that offer our program.
Currently we have SLP, SLP Pro Pack, SLP Enhanced Map, SLP Enhanced Search, SLP Enhanced Results, and SLP Tagalong.
I have set the plugin with the following settings:
- Radii Options to “10,25,50,100,200,500,(5000),12500”
- Radius Behavior to “Always Use”
- City, State & Country Selectors to “DropDown, Discrete Filter”
- Selector Behavior to “Disable Address when using selector”
- At Start Up number to show to “25”
- At Start Up radius to search to “25”
- After Search max results to “50”
- Enhanced Results->Order Results By to “Name A..Z”
- ProPack “use location sensor” is checked.
What these settings allow a user to do:
- On startup the browser will get the location of the user and center the map on that location for search results.
- The initial results will be 25 locations within 25 miles of the user.
- If the user is located within the US and chooses a city they will get locations limited to that city.
- If the user is located within the US and chooses a state they will get locations limited to that state.
- If the user is located within the US and chooses Canada, US or a country within 5000 miles of the original loaded location they will get all results limited to that country.
- If the user types in a name that is within 5000 miles of the name search they will get the result.
- If the user types in an address that is within 5000 miles of the original loaded location they will get 50 locations that are closest to that address.
What these settings will not allow:
- If the user chooses a city, state, or country that is outside the 5000 mi radius they will get no results.
- If the user types in a name outside the 5000 mi radius they will get no results.
- If the user types in an address outside the 5000 mi radius they will get no results.
- If the user starts searching from somewhere else in the world they will be limited to results within 5000 mi of their location.
What I recommend:
- An option to set that will ignore radius for name searches and just search all the names providing results.
- An option to set that will ignore max results and radius for discrete city, state and country search and center on the city, state or country showing all results for that search.
- When I try decreasing the default radius I wind up with more searches that show no results.
- If I could set it to ignore the radius for discrete searches I could set the radius smaller for address searches getting results that are more reasonable for that type of search.
- It just seems to make sense that a discreet search using a choice from the dropdown would not need a radius or a limit since it is a specific search.
If I am misinformed or not trying something please let me know and I’m looking forward to your thoughts.December 13, 2015 at 3:05 PM #36749
Not sure if you have a specific question or if this was just a suggestion. If a question: Could you provide your Plugin Environment which includes versions as well as your store locator plus site page ( url) . (See Posting guidelines for info needed)
As far as the discrete settings there are currently radiuss behavior settings a :do not always use, always use, only use when address is searched ” along with the allow selector with address input or not allow selector.
A combo should get you the closes to what you want to achieve. Along with fine tuning the zoom levels etc.
Thank you for the suggestions about by Name search limitation. There are a lot of variables to consider. When you start getting into Name search criteria it can get convoluted if there are multiple variables associated with just one name. Some SLP users have thousands of the same “store” name but different addresses. Example, they have thousands of CVS stores as part of their location database because that is where their products are sold, along with Walgreens and a few other locations that have thousands and thousands of locations etc..it can get very convoluted as radii interactions are really concentric to an address search based on Long/Lat, Just my observation from troubleshooting some of the sites.
Have you though of looking at the Directory Builder add-on? You might be able to get the results looking closer to the way you want them to appear. Please see the Tutorial videos on DB and Discrete search etc.
Future Additional Enhancements to the product will usually appear with the Premier Subscriptions.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.