Store Locator Plus® for WordPress Forums Premier Support Cannot Change Address Search Field Label

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    emilie
    Participant

I am trying to change the text next to the search field in the Store Locator Plus Experience tab under the Search > Labels section but the value that I am trying to change it to will not appear on the site. I would like to change it from “Address / Zip” to “Address / Postal Code” or something similar. I have tried using Janitor to reset the value and changing it again, but without luck. It is strange, because from the same menu I am able to add Address Placeholder text without an issue – that change shows on the site, but any change to the Search Field Address Label does not stick.

Please see attached for a copy of my plugin environment. Thank you.

Cici
    Keymaster

Your SLP plugin and add-ons are out of date.

Power, Experience, Premier and SLP are all on version 4.7.9   You need to update (save a back up before you update per recommendations.

See changes in the news under docs site

Under version 4.7.9 under “Settings”, under search, under label. Where it shows address, enter what you want it to appear.

See my screenshots.

In version 4.7.9

emilie
    Participant

Hi Cici,

I updated the plugins as you recommended but I am afraid the problem persists! I change the value of the field in the Settings > Search > Labels menu, and then pressed the green Save button but I do not see the change reflected on the the Store Locator page of our site. It still defaults to “Address / Zip”. I have tried different values in the box in the Settings menu and nothing seems to stick, even though it shows the updated value in that field after pressing Save. Is there a way to change this on the back-end? Do you know where in the site database this value is stored, assuming it is? Then, perhaps, I could go in and edit it manually? We have customers outside the USA so “Zip” isn’t really the best term to display on our page.

Please see attached for screenshots of the updated plugin environment, as well as screenshots of the current values in the Settings menu, and a screenshot of how the label looks on the site currently.

Can you help me resolve this?

Cici
    Keymaster

Did you refresh the Url page that has the SLP map on it after you saved , you must refresh.  Is your theme overruling or do you have css? Because it looks like under your Jumbo Theme CSS it has hard coded this:

<div class=”store_locator_plus jumbo-2“><div id=”sl_div“><form id=”searchFormclass=”slp_search_formaction=”” onsubmit=’cslmap.searchLocations(); return false;‘ ><div class=”slp_search_container“><div id=”address_searchclass=”slp search_box“> <input class=’label_text length_4type=’hiddenid=’nameSearchname=’nameSearchsize=’50value=” /> <div id=’addy_in_addressclass=’search_item‘><label for=’addressInputclass=’text length_13‘>Address / Zip</label><input class=’label_text length_13type=’textid=’addressInputname=’addressInputplaceholder=” size=’50value=” /></div> <input type=’hiddenid=’addressInputCityname=’addressInputCityvalue=”> <input type=’hiddenid=’addressInputStatename=’addressInputStatevalue=”> <input type=’hiddenid=’addressInputCountryname=’addressInputCountryvalue=”> <div id=’tagalong_category_selectorclass=’tagalong_category_selector tagalong_term search_item‘><label for=”cat“>Service Center Type:</label><select name=’catid=’catclass=’postform‘ > <option value=’0selected=’selected‘>Any</option> <option class=”level-0value=”884“>Beacon Training Park</option> <option class=”level-0value=”886“>Cylinder Exchange Center</option> <option class=”level-0value=”885“>Cylinder Refill Center</option> <option class=”level-0value=”889“>Cylinder Rental Center</option> <option class=”level-0value=”887“>Retailer</option> <option class=”level-0value=”888“>Snowmobile Dealer</option></select></div> <div class=”search_item“> <div id=’addy_in_radius‘><label for=’radiusSelectclass=’text length_6‘>Within</label><select id=’radiusSelect‘><option value=’10‘ >10 miles</option><option value=’25‘ >25 miles</option><option value=’50selected=’selected‘ >50 miles</option><option value=’100‘ >100 miles</option><option value=’250‘ >250 miles</option></select></div> <div id=’radius_in_submit‘><input type=”submitclass=”slp_ui_buttonvalue=’Find Locationsid=’addressSubmit‘/></div> </div> </div><input type=’hiddenname=’ignore_radiusid=’ignore_radiusvalue=’0‘ /></div></form><div id=”mapclass=”slp_map“></div><div id=”map_sidebarclass=”slp_results_container“><div class=”text_below_map“>Enter an address or zip code and click the find locations button.</div></div></div></div>”

emilie
    Participant

Hi Cici,

Yes, of course I refreshed the page after changing the value in the CMS… You can still see it says “Address / Zip” on our page. (http://backcountryaccess.com/map)

I can’t imagine why, how or when we would have hardcoded that value into our website’s theme – that just don’t seem like something we would do, and it also doesn’t make sense that we would have hard-coded it to the value that is the same as default value that is set by SLP. I looked through our theme CSS pages and I don’t see anything of that nature.

You also haven’t proved that anything is hardcoded on our site. I inspected the same element on the Store Locator Plus demo site and it looks exactly the same to me, so if your observation of the code proves that our site is hardcoded, so is yours, if I am looking at this correctly… See attached screenshot.

Cici
    Keymaster

Which SLP Plugin style are you using?

Perhaps there was something leftover from a previous SLP  style and/or if you had a previous Legacy add-on.  Could you tell me what you have under view for Plugin Style?   Lance made a lot of changes and added Gallery styles, if you had previous styles they should also be available.

For instance, I am using the gallery style Map Minimal default under my search layout  the correct div code is   search element input with label = address…therefore anything I put in the label section “addresss” Appears in the output

(Settings/Appearance) The search layout is this:

<div id=”address_search” class=”slp search_box”>

[slp_addon location=”very_top”]

[slp_search_element input_with_label=”name”]

[slp_search_element input_with_label=”address”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”city”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”state”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”country”]

[slp_search_element selector_with_label=”tag”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”category”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”gfl_form_id”]

[slp_addon location=”before_radius_submit”]

<div class=”search_item”>

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”radius”]

[slp_search_element button=”submit”]

</div>

[slp_addon location=”after_radius_submit”]

[slp_addon location=”very_bottom”]

</div>

Cici
    Keymaster

Once we know which Plugin style you have and/or need ,  Lance will be able to add it in for you as a gallery style.  Premier customers are being given special consideration to make sure they can access their style with one click. That should  make it easier to keep updated with version releases without having to take additional steps. I apologize for any inconvenience. I have asked Lance to take a look at this as well.

Thanks

emilie
    Participant

Hi Cici,

I believe we were on the Gallery Style. But I actually decided to switch it to Twenty Sixteen Rev 04 because it looks a bit better with our site’s layout. However, it doesn’t seem to make a difference as even after I change the Plugin Style setting and then change the setting under Search > Labels (and then select Save, and refresh the map page of our site) it still does not actually change the value that appears. It still says “Address / Zip” and I am trying to change it to “Address or Postal Code”

This is what it looks like under Search > Appearance > Search Layout. It’s basically the same as what you have above, so I am still confused on what the issue is. Whatever is happening, it seems like the setting is “stuck” and is resisting being changed through the normal CMS system. I was wondering if you know where in the site database this value is actually stored so that I can see if I can change in on the back-end.

[slp_addon location=”very_top”]

[slp_search_element input_with_label=”name”]

[slp_search_element input_with_label=”address”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”city”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”state”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”country”]

[slp_search_element selector_with_label=”tag”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”category”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”gfl_form_id”]

[slp_addon location=”before_radius_submit”]

[slp_search_element dropdown_with_label=”radius”]

[slp_search_element button=”submit”]

[slp_addon location=”after_radius_submit”]

[slp_addon location=”very_bottom”]

</div>

See attached screenshots.

Cici
    Keymaster

The values would be under the Settings/Search/Appearance/layout.

Additional CSS can be found under the Settings/view.  Some themes take precedence over the SLP plugin styles , that was why I was asking about your theme.

Click this  link for additional information about the Plugin styles and what can be done.

I have asked Lance to take a look at this post too when he has a chance.   I cannot re-create the issues you are having with this particular style, so that is why I am thinking it has to do with your combination of plugins or theme.   If something is not changing and settings arent sticking Lance will want to know.

emilie
    Participant

Hi Cici,

Thanks for looking into this for us. Let us know when Lance can take a look.

What I listed in my last post ARE the values in Settings > Search > Appearance > Layout > Search Layout. It doesn’t specify the text “Address/Zip” anywhere. How can I change it from that field? What I am really wondering is where this “Address/Zip” value is pulled from/stored. In the MySQL database of the site? In a CSS file that I cannot find anywhere? A part of your plugin’s code that is obfuscated to the end user. I’m fine with “hard-coding” our preferred value in somewhere – but I don’t know where I would put it!

Please see attached – it’s what appears under. Settings > View > Layout and Settings > View > Custom CSS. Does this enlighten things for you at all?

Thanks!

Cici
    Keymaster

Emille

I spoke to Lance about your issue and we both have looked at your site to try and see what is going on and discovered you have a multilingual plugin.

You are using sitepress-multilingual correct?  It  is intercepting the translation strings.

Lance has been working forever and on end with WPML tech support and last week he received some answers : “WPML handles data from wp_options table through wpml-config.xml file. But it won’t work on back-end.

This was specifically related to settings like the address/search label.

The only thing we can suggest is to update your WPML strings since they are taking over the entire string I/O process and are not honoring the SLP updates on the admin pages.

In summary they  are forcing all plugins to use WordPress ‘init’ instead of ‘plugins_loaded’, but we cannot do that because some WordPress features that SLP uses MUST happen with plugins_loaded.       They refuse to change anything because WPML breaks bbPress compatiblity if they support more advanced plugins.

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Cannot Change Address Search Field Label’ is closed to new replies.